My (Very Belated) Seven Super Shots

I know that the Seven Super Shots were like, so 10 months ago, but I am an official travel blogger now (kind of) so here are mine. It seems I really enjoy contributing to internet memes in a belated fashion, like when I did my ABCs of Travel this September. Without further ado, my seven super shots!

1. A photo that takes my breath away.

Dingle

There was something about standing over the green, wild and windblown cliffs of the Dingle Peninsula that (literally) blew me away. While in my case Rick Steves’ recommendations generally don’t work out (I will never forget that horrible fado bar in Lisbon… ever), Dingle was one place I would recommend to anyone; the people, live Irish music, Guinness and nature fit so well together.

2. A photo that makes me laugh.

Hair hearts

I bet you weren’t expecting a photo of me in here, right?

I think if this photo had a title, it would be, “What happens when you spend too much time with a 12-year old.” My preteen sister styled this photo, and when I huffed something about how I have some dignity I need to maintain, she retorted, “Um, Ashley, I have an Instagram account I need to maintain.”

Touché, sis.

3. A photo that makes me dream.

I took this shot while gazing out the window of an antique wooden train on the Spanish island of Mallorca. I couldn’t stop snapping photos of the dreamy, uniquely Spanish scenery… until my camera died midway through the trip, of course!

4. A photo that makes me think.

Stray Dog Chile

While Chile is by far the most industrialized South American country I have been to, there is a rampant problem with stray dogs in Santiago and beyond. It always broke my heart to see visibly miserable dogs following people around for a scrap of food.

5. A photo that makes my mouth water.

Belgian Waffle in Brussels

This may come as a huge surprise to you, but I really love food. Especially French food. I struggled with choosing a photo for this category – only one picture?

Well it turns out that the food is just as good north of the border; this hot-off-the-griddle, smothered-in-whipped-cream Belgian waffle was the first thing I tasted in Brussels and it was delicious.

6. A photo that tells a story.

1957 Chris Craft

This is a shot of my dad driving our family’s 1957 Chris Craft on Lake Huron, where we have our family cottage. The boat has been in the family for generations and is named “Sweet William” in honor of my grandpa Bill. It’s a very special heirloom to all of us; I hope it stays in the family for many generations to come.

7. The photo that I am most proud of ( my National Geographic photo.

Arthurs Seat

I worked really hard to get this shot, after hiking (or should I say crawling?) to the top of the gorse-covered Arthur’s Seat in Edinburgh, Scotland. I honestly have no idea how the photo came out like this, with the mountain bathed in sunlight and the background black and white – I swear I didn’t edit it to look like that! It amazed me to find a park like this in the middle of a big city; the Edinburghians are a lucky bunch.

Which one is your favorite?

1. No “kind of”!!! You are a great travel blogger.

• Thank you, Halie, your comment completely made my day :)

2. You’re a gifted photographer Ashley :) I love them all, but I like the photo of Edinburgh best. I’m a big mountainlover, and these are just awesome rockformations :)

• Thank you! As a huge ski bum I know what you mean, I love mountains too.

3. Love the first one! You’d think you photoshopped in all that eerie fog ;)
    Jessica Wray recently posted..#OnlyIn: AsiaMy Profile

• I would’ve if I could’ve! I literally cannot use Photoshop at all, so I assure you that the fog is 100% real :)

• Haha thanks… she suckered me into it! Kids these days…

• Haha, thanks! Anything for my sister’s Instagram account :)

4. By far I love the last shot of Edinburgh, and for many reasons, especially because on my visit I didn’t get a chance to do Arthur’s Seat and this photo just instilled my want to return.

• You’re going to love it, it was by far my best day in Scotland (and that means a lot considering how much I enjoyed my time there!)

5. Dear Ashley, all your photos are magnificent–loved the one of your dad of course, and of you, and that poor dog–woe….

• Thank you Gamma! It means a lot coming from you, I know we are all so proud of the cottage and the Chris Craft. Can’t wait to see you soon!

6. My favorite is “A photo that makes me laugh”. You look cute and happy :) That’s what matters when time stops.

And “The photo that I am most proud of ( my National Geographic photo” is awesome.
    memographer recently posted..On My Shelves. My Travel Bring-back CollectionMy Profile

• Thanks! I thought everyone was going to make fun of me for the hair hearts picture but I’ve been pleasantly surprised :)

7. Oh that waffle looks like heaven just about now. And thanks for the scottish inspiration. Starting to dream up a trip there next fall. Need a little visual stimulation to get the rest of the fam on board. Not that they have much of a choice ;-)
    Keryn @ walking on travels recently posted..Get to Know… R We There Yet MomMy Profile

• You’re going to have so much fun! Kids would love the highland cows… they’re adorable!

• Thank you Alex! I took all of these with different cameras: The first and fifth with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5, the second, fourth and sixth with a Nikon D40X, the third and seventh with a Nikon P100. Cameras are kind of my addiction :)

• Thank you! Mallorca is a very photogenic island :)

8. LOVE the picture of your dad captaining the family boat. From the fine wood on the inside, I can tell that it is a beautiful boat. That picture inspires me. I want a boat like that at Lake Como, and ride around the lake for an entire summer in it.

Great selection all around. I was tagged to do this and never did it. Maybe it isn’t too late :-)
    Fidel recently posted..Five Movies That Inspired Me To TravelMy Profile

• You should do the seven shots! It was actually a really fun project. And yes, the boat is beautiful and very meaningful as well :)