Paris in the Rain: A Photo Essay in the City of Lights

Happy Friday everyone! So now that I’ve shown you what I do on a day-to-day basis, I want to show you what I do on my day off.

On my days off I can generally be found wandering Paris in the rain.

Paris in the rain – yes, an undoubtedly cliché photo subject, but certainly a charming one. And let me say, it rains a lot in Paris. Whenever I see the sun I throw on my riding boots and run outside – it’s not a common occurrence in these parts!

Paris in the Rain

Le Marais

Paris in the Rain

Paris in the Rain

Paris in the Rain

Paris in the Rain

Paris in the Rain

Paris in the Rain

Paris in the Rain

Paris in the Rain

Paris in the Rain

Paris in the Rain Note to other photographers – when I lower the shutter speed enough for the subject to be blurry like the man on the bicycle, it way over-exposes the entire image. How do you avoid that?

Anyway, if you are ever in Paris, make sure to wander the city by yourself. Whether you spot the yamaka-wearing children getting out of school at the Le Marais synagogue or the tourists toting their bright umbrellas there’s always something interesting around the corner in Paris.

Have you ever wandered Paris in the rain?

And if you aren’t sick of me yet then check out my Atlas Sliced interview with Alexa Hart! In the video I talk a lot about how to become an au pair while swishing my hair like Justin Bieber and giggling.

Ashley is an American travel blogger and freelance writer who moved to Paris at 21, traveled the world for a year and now lives in Denver. She's usually in pursuit of skiing, languages and perfectly ripe cheese. Her writing has been featured in National Geographic, Viator and Jetstar Australia.

1. I love enjoying my favourite cities in the rain. Madrid was marvellous when it rained.
    I have an exam in 45 minutes, but will watch that video of you later! x
    Colleen Brynn recently posted..Rain, Rain…My Profile

• Good luck on your exam! Ah I miss Madrid, and Spain especially… what I would give for one night of jamon iberico, sangria and clubbing!

2. If you adjust your ISO and aperture, that should help with the overexposure caused by the slow shutter speed. Try a low ISO (100 or so) and a small aperture (f/4+).
    Megan recently posted..Dream Destination: Christmas in EuropeMy Profile

• Thank you so much, that’s really helpful! I am somewhat clueless about cameras and need to learn so much more.

• I totally need to go to Prague, hopefully I can squeeze that in soon!

3. Do you see an esposure indicator when you look into the viewfinder, or on the screen?
    If you have one, with a slow aperture speed it will show a high exposure value, that you can lower by adjusting aperture, until the indicator will be in a middle position.
    If you don’t have one thou, just riduce aperture, take a shot, and check if it helped!
    Nice photos

• Thanks! I will check that tomorrow. There’s so much to know with photography sometimes that it stresses me out! I’ll get there though, and thanks again for the tip :)

• Thanks! I love all of the umbrellas :)

• Thanks for the compliment! It means a lot when a great photographer likes my work. And trust me, I’m waiting for it too!

4. Great photos Ashley. Paris just can’t look bad, even in the rain! You are SO right about wandering Paris by yourself. Funny, I JUST wrote about that today!
    Kara recently posted..My Second Date with ParisMy Profile

• Thanks, Kara! I love your HDR photos of Ireland by the way. Your Paris photos are stunning as well!

5. HI Ashley, Love your newest posts. Congrats on winning the Barrelhopping photo contest! As far as long shutter speeds and overexposure: On my Canon G12 I select from the large knob on the top of the camera Tv, which is the “shutter speed priority” mode. That is, the camera selects the Apeture and you select the shutter speed. On this setting this should take care of the overexposure issue. Another thing you can do is depress the shutter halfway and the camera should give you a preview of what the picture will look like. Good Luck and keep up the brilliant work! Love Daddy

• Thanks, Dad! Thanks for commenting, and also thank you for the photography advice! I didn’t know that about getting a preview of what the picture will look like. I will try that out. Love, Ashley

6. It looks beautiful in the rain. It actually reminds me of the movie “Midnight in Paris” and Gil’s romantic ideas about the city when it rains. :D
    Audrey | That Backpacker recently posted..When I Think of Germany…My Profile

• Haha I loved that movie! And there is just something about it in the rain that is so quintessentially Parisian :)

7. Hmm…. I Love the picture number 3, beutiful….I imagine through the road along with someone who we love and under the rain … wow … would really romantic of course.

I really like when the rain came …. to me truly romantic atmosphere. Especially in my country which has a tropical climate

Nice picture and post …. :)

Please visit my blog to…. :)

• I’m glad you liked it! And yes, Paris is a very romantic city :)